What should not be missing on a MTB tour? We'll tell you. Here you will find a list of the most important must-haves concerning the MTB equipment. With the list you will be optimally prepared for the next adventure.
Mountain bike equipment: What is included in the basic equipment?
It doesn't matter whether you are a beginner or an advanced rider - if you invest time in choosing the right equipment, you will be rewarded with an unforgettable MTB tour. Some essentials should be included on every mountain bike ride. The following four items are part of the MTB basic equipment:
- MTB sports glasses or bike goggles
- MTB helmet
- Bike Gloves: Protect your hands from wind, weather and injuries
- Bike shoes
Better safe than sorry: MTB protective equipment and protectors
Also for optimal protection and safety, there are some items that you should take with you on a MTB tour. Protectors are not only relevant in the bike park. Both back protectors and elbow pads are particularly important for downhill riding and MTB. In addition, knee pads and shin guards are becoming increasingly popular on trails and in freeride. MTB protective equipment includes the following equipment:
- Neck Brace (for fast trails)
- Knee pad
- Elbow pads
- Back protectors
- Shin guards
Mountain bike equipment: What you absolutely need
There are some items that seem so obvious that you could easily forget them. You should take the multitool with you on every MTB ride to be prepared for all events. What you also absolutely need for a mountain biking are:
- Brakes, brake discs and brake pads: Here it is particularly important that the settings withstand the area of use and the respective load. For downhill, for example, the brake discs are larger than on MTBs.
- Handlebars: The handlebars also have some differences in terms of materials, shape and width. Mountain bikes, for example, have a slightly shorter stem to make the MTB more manoeuvrable. It is therefore particularly important to find the right steering width for your area of application.
- Tires: Depending on the surface, there are also a few things to consider when choosing tires in order to enjoy optimal grip when mountain biking.
Mountain bike equipment: clothing and much more
There is also special mountain bike clothing tailored to the needs of mountain bikers. This ensures breathability and freedom of movement and you can get your best performance. Compared to road bike clothing, MTB equipment has a looser cut. When making your selection, make sure that robust materials were used in the processing of the clothing so that you can enjoy it for as long as possible. MTB clothing must-haves are:
- MTB Shirts
- MTB jacket
- Mountain bike pants or baggy shorts
- MTB socks
MTB equipment: What do I need for mountain biking?
Attention MTB riders: Would you like to find out more about MTB, equipment and tours? You can explore more topics on our blog.
👉 Looking for a MTB helmet? This helmet matches your sports glasses.
👉 What do you have to pack for a MTB tour? Discover our MTB packing list.
👉 Buying MTB glasses: What do I have to consider? Learn more in the blog article.
👉 Need a gift for mountain bikers? Here is a list of gift ideas for MTB riders.
Credits: Florian Dorn